Information‎ > ‎

Getting Started

NOTE: This is subject to change at any time, and may be inaccurate as new legislation is enacted

1) Optional: Obtain a FEIN/EID from the IRS and register it with the TN Secretary of State
    a) This optional step can alleviate some personal liability concerns
    b) Register with the IRS (free) here: > Apply for an EIN Online
    c) Register with the state of TN ($300 plus cc fee for LLC) here: TN Sec of State > Business Services

2) Verify zoning regulations of your property
    a) Zoning map for Davidson county available here: > Planning Dept > Metro Maps

3) Obtain STRP permit from Metro Codes
    a) Verify availability of permit for your property (Type 2 Permits have limited availability)
    b) Notify property owners sharing common wall or driveway
    c) Owner of property must apply in person at Metro Codes
    d) Required to bring floor plan (with smoke detector locations*), proof of insurance & residence & notification
    e) $50 permit fee
    f)  Link: > Codes > Permits > STRP

4) If necessary: Register as a landlord**
    a) Fill out form and mail fee ($10)

5) Register your business with the TN Dept of Revenue
    a) Register here (free): > Online Tax Registration
    b) Choose Sales & Use Tax (required) and City/County Business Tax (if necessary*)
    c) Business class 3

6) Obtain business license from County Clerk
    NOTE: If your annual gross sales will be $10,000 or less, a Minimal Activity License can be obtained instead
    a) Fill out application, print, and mail back to Davidson County Clerk

    b) Include $30 fee ($15 to register with county, $15 for city)

7) Obtain account number for hotel taxes
    a) Contact the Nashville/Davidson Collections Dept to obtain an account number, used to pay hotel taxes monthly
    b) Typically the County Clerk would notify Collections/Finance already once business license is issued

8) File Franchise & Excise Tax Exemption
    a) This is important! If you skip this, you will receive a notice saying taxes are due at IRS tax time
    b) Fill out Application for Exemption here: > Franchise and Excise Taxes
    c) Family-owned Non-Corporate with Passive Investment Income (rental property)***
*Smoke detectors may need to be installed to comply with Fire Marshal requirements
**Landlords are only required to register once per owner (no matter number of properties owned), and only if you anticipate renting your unit for 90 days or more to a single contract (i.e. a traditional landlord/tenant agreement).
***If vacation rental is your (or your company's) primary source of income, this exemption likely would not apply